Treatment Plant/Collection System

Since Norwalk constructed the first primary wastewater treatment facility at the site in 1931, the facility has continued to expand and advance. In 1966 a solids incinerator (since removed) was installed and in the 1970’s the plant was upgraded to secondary treatment with activated biological treatment. In the 1980’s additional stormwater treatment systems were added, along with new pumping stations. And in the 1990’s additional treatment technologies were added for biological nutrient removal as part of the Long Island Sound Conservation and Management Plan. The WPCA has just completed an upgrade, in which the preliminary and stormwater treatment equipment was replaced and upgraded.

To download the process flow schematic click the link below:

To view or download a copy of our NPDES permit click the link below: